Thursday, February 13, 2014

Muzungu, Muzungu




Today I ventured out to the shops by myself….without my protective husband! It was a bit of  freedom to be able to go to a local shop, where we have made friends with the East Indian owners, and to feel safe the entire time. The one thing that has really struck me over the past 2 weeks is the fascination with white skin….”Muzungu” as we are eloquently called. Any Caucasian person who has travelled to any Swahili African nation will recognize this term. When I am with Charles, yes, I hear Muzungu but mostly from children. Today, it was more the adult males who were calling me. You need to understand….we have gone for walks as a family many times down this same path. These are people who have seen me many times before…why is it they are still so fascinated with me as a Muzungu? People being long distances away, yet yelling "Muzungu".

I understand that with colonialism, there came a hierarchy of skin color and the native Burundians placed white people on a higher level. But generations after colonialism, there is an infinite sadness in me that many
of the native Burundians still do not see that we are the same. I am no different than they.  It burns within me for ALL Nations to recognize we all have the same mandate from God:

     “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.”          1 Corinthians 12:13

Whether we are African, Asian, Greek, Philipino, Caucasian or whatever background we are, we are all the same in God’s eyes. So why is it that man has created such a hierarchy of insignificant differences? It is because we have let Satan use it to divide us, to prevent us from uniting together for the good of the cross. I want to challenge all Christians back home to evaluate your heart to see, do we really accept and love everyone, no matter what their background?  For my African friends…as ambassadors of Christ, do you really love those from other tribes and other African countries? How often do you show love and compassion to those outside your tribe? Yes, we may all pray differently, act differently and talk differently but God created it all and it is not for us to decide who is superior or inferior. How many of the African churches have formed together with other nation churches for events, or church services? For my Caucasian friends and family, do you really embrace and love other cultures? When you meet an African newcomer to church, do YOU welcome them and invite them into your home? Or do you direct them to the closest African person you know? My challenge to all is to search the heart of God and go out of your comfort zone to reach out to someone of another culture.

A second part to the Muzungu sega……the children. Everywhere we go, children are calling Muzungu, Muzungu, or they run up to me or the kids, touch our skin, giggle and run away; but where did they learn this from? Children learn from their parents and other adults. We have a responsibility as parents to teach our children and bring them up in a manner that is pleasing to the Lord. Part of this responsibility is to help our children know their value in God and as a person…..to know that they are valuable jewels that cannot be replaced. The pace of life here in Burundi is much slower than in Canada….MUCH slower! It is easier here to have the time to invest into my children…take them for a walk, lay beside them in bed and talk to them. I still have to be intentional about it but the opportunities are there….especially when the power goes out!! Lately, when it rains, we lose our power for a period of time…(thank you to Carol Lessmeister for suggesting we bring headlamps as they have come in very handy and the kids love to use them when there is no power). There is not much else to do but talk and usually, go to bed.

I am also intrigued by the girls at Gitega International Academy …..most of them seem shy. When taking pictures, many turn away from the camera and when they smile, they hide their beautiful smiles with their hand. I am looking forward to getting to know the students more and understanding their knowledge of who they are in Christ. I hope to influence these girls to become confident, ambassadors of Christ who understand their value as a person. To know that their smile is a beautiful thing that does not need to be covered up.

I want to close with thoughts from Psalm 139:13-14
   “For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother’s womb.
    I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    Wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well.”


Donations can be made for the "Burundi mission" at

http://www.yfced.com/index.php/donate/how-to-donate
http://www.thebridgesofhope.com/index.php?p=Donate


   

No comments:

Post a Comment